Collablogging

Sunday, October 17, 2004

Sharing personal summaries

I came up with an idea for start to fill up this blog and motivate some good debates: I will start sharing here some of my personal summaries. I've made so far over 100 summaries of interesting publications related to my PhD work. The first thing I'd like to share, then, is the model I use for these summaries, which end up being very, very useful everytime I write papers/chapters. Special thanks to prof. Orivaldo Tavares that shared this model with me still during my undergraduate studies in Computer Science.

So here it goes a commented model for you (my comments are after //):

Paper Summary Model

TITLE:

AUTHORS:

INSTITUTIONS:

DATE OF PUBLICATION:

KEYWORDS: //if the paper does not bring any, I make some myself for my own reference

LOCATION (WHERE IT CAN BE FOUND): //here I add not only the complete reference but also some info of where I can find it, e.g. in my computer folder PhD/Papers/KM, reference C34.8 of the UT library...

1 – MAIN IDEAS //here I write in topics the text parts that I highlight while reading the paper

2 – POSITIVE ASPECTS

3 – NEGATIVE ASPECTS

4 – I DID NOT UNDERSTAND

5 – IDEAS THAT OCURRED DURING READING //this is one of the most important sessions because here we can add our own thoughts about the publication. What does this publication trigger in my mind? How is this paper/book/speech related to other summaries I have? How can it help my own work or my own understanding of how things work?

6 – PAPER EVALUATION --> marks from 0 to 10 //this one I almost never use...
6.1 – PERTINENCY
6.2 – ORIGINALITY
6.3 – TECHNICAL WRITING (PRESENTATION)
6.4 – RELEVANCY
6.5 – GENERAL EVALUATION

7 – FUTURE READERS RECOMENDATION //this section is important because you can indicate if the publication is best for novices or experts, when it should be read (also for your own reference in the future) and so on...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home